Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Sleepy Justice: Duty Calls


I have been called to do my civic duty and serve on a jury. This is my third time being called to serve, but I have never been selected to actually sit on a jury. Each time, I have had to wake up at ungodly hours, drive in circles in whichever downtown I happen to be in--desperate for parking, sat around all day avoiding eye contact with people, and finally been thanked for my time. It seems defense attorneys don't look kindly on jurists who work in news rooms or express strong feelings about alleged 'domestic abusers'.

Of course, I may be called to sit on a jury for a trial of political significance. I will feel very special if I give a lot of thought to the evidence presented, and find out that my decision has been brushed aside by a politician who considers my opinion too 'harsh'.

No comments: